Reducing the Impurities

Lead

A metal found in natural deposits, is commonly used in household plumbing materials and water service lines. In babies and children, exposure to lead in drinking water can result in delays in physical and mental development, along with slight deficits in attention span and learning abilities. In adults, it can cause increases in blood pressure. Adults who drink this water over many years could develop kidney problems or high blood pressure.

Back To Top


Chlorine (Taste and Odor)

Is a water additive used to control microbes.

Back To Top


Mercury

Is a liquid metal found in natural deposits, the major source of Mercury in drink water comes from run-off from landfills and croplands as well as erosion from natural deposits. People who ingest large quantities in drinking water for long periods of time may experience kidney damage.

Back To Top


Benzene

It is a volatile organic chemical that is a clear, colorless aromatic liquid. It is highly flammable. It is formed through natural processes, such as volcanoes and forest fires. It is also formed from industrial processes. Benzene is also a natural part of crude oil, gasoline and cigarette smoke. The major sources of benzene in drinking water are discharge from factories; and leaching from gas storage tanks and landfills. Health risks include anemia or a decrease in blood platelets, and may have an increased risk of getting cancer.

Back To Top


Cadmium

A metal found in water through the corrosion of galvanized pipes; erosion of natural deposits; discharge from metal refineries; runoff from waste batteries and paints. People who drink water with high levels of Cadmium for many years may experience kidney damage.

Back To Top


Copper

Is a metal that is widely used in household plumbing. Copper is an essential nutrient, required by the body in very small amounts. However, EPA has found copper to potentially cause the following health effects when people are exposed to it at levels above the Action Level. Short periods of exposure can cause gastrointestinal disturbance, including nausea and vomiting. Use of water that exceeds the Action Level over many years could cause liver or kidney damage.

Back To Top


Tetrachloroethylene

Is a colorless organic liquid with a mild chloroform-like odor that is found mainly from discharge from factories and dry cleaners. Drinking water with high levels over a long period of time could result in liver problems and an increased risk of cancer.

Back To Top


Toluene

Is an organic liquid with a sweet benzene like odor with the major source of it in drinking water coming from discharge from petroleum factories. Health risks include problems to the nervous system, kidneys and liver from long term exposure.

Back To Top


Reference Source: US Environmental Protection Agency